BIC is a French multinational company, which for more than nine years has been established in Ramos Arizpe, Coahuila, plant that contributes for BIC being considered one of the largest companies in products manufacture worldwide.


The company was founded in 1945, it started manufacturing ballpoints pens which we know as BIC Clasico, later they expanded their products catalogue until having what we know today.


BIC dedicates to the manufacturing of consumption items, it has three category lines, stationary which are writing articles; the second line they manage is of lighters and the third one are razors, to this last line is to which the Coahuila plant is dedicated, located at the Santa Maria industrial park.


Gustavo Gomez, director of the plant BIC Shavers Mexico, who has 29 years working for the company, explained the career the company has in the State, revealing that it started as a razors packaging plant, but as years passed by it started manufacturing these razors that today go to one of the most demanding markets and with more competition: the American.

“We were born on March 2009, we opened this plant nine years ago, it started its first four years as a razors packaging company and as of 2013 we became a manufacturing plant,” he detailed.


Persistency has characterized the Ramos Arizpe plant, as slowly it has grown, since year after year they incorporate new machinery to increase its production.

“In Ramos Arizpe we are at an expansion phase, in order to have a future great manufacturing capability.  We are investing about 4 million Euros in machinery since 2014.  What we pretend for 2025 is to duplicate the plant volume capacity,” said Gustavo Gomez.

 

IN GROWTH


Globally, BIC has approximately 16,000 workers around the world; while in the Ramos Arizpe plant there are currently about 360 employees, and it is expected that the “BIC family” continues to grow.


In detail, each year BIC manufactures 2.6 million razors worldwide, what means that it manufactures about 9.6 million razors per day.


In Coahuila production volumes are of 350 million razors per year from which 94 % goes to the North American market (the United States and Canada ;) while the remaining 6 % goes to the internal market, as well as to Central and South America, in addition of Australia and New Zeeland, according to data provided by the company.

 

PHILOSOPHY


BIC keeps a constant philosophy of innovation since 1945, without leaving behind the past that has taken them to where they are today.


“We have as a mission a philosophy of ‘Honoring the past, invent the future’ and our vision is to offer simple, innovative and reliable products within everyone’s reach anywhere at any moment.


“BIC has five basic values that join and are pillars of our company and those are ethics, responsibility, simplicity, teamwork and ability,” the directive said.


Regarding certifications, the BIC Ramos Arizpe plant is in constant evolution and is going for more.  “We are working under the ISO 9000 certification.  In the coming weeks we will be working under ISO 14000, which is the environmental standard and in a future we are going for the ISO 18000,” he explained.


Regarding the fact of working in the Southeast area of the State, Gustavo Gomez said that they made the correct decision for many reasons.


“The decision of installing the plant in Coahuila was made after evaluating the feasibility in different locations and finally Ramos Arizpe was chosen because it complied with most of the assessed points.  One of our advantages is the closeness with our main customers which is the United States, as well as the easiness of the communication roads we have from the plant to the border in three hours, which facilitates the exports logistics and material movement.  Another factor is the closeness of Monterrey, in addition of the experience and availability of workforce, as well as of the services required by a manufacturing company,” he ended.